Struggles with Infertility

Being a parent is not something that everyone has as a goal in life. But once you decide that you want to be a parent, and you are unable to, your life can either unravel, or you can try to find meaning in your struggles. This blog is me trying to find meaning.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Hysteroscopy, Partial D&C and Endometrial Biopsy Party!

A few months ago I had a sonohysterogram and they saw 'something' that looked like it might be a false passage. A false passage in the uterus is just scar tissue or similar tissue that is in a place where the catheter (for IUI or IVF) might get drawn in to. If that were to happen during an IVF, for instance, the embryo would have nothing to latch on to (no endometrial lining) and the procedure would fail. So, my doctor ordered a hysteroscopy to check things out.

A hysteroscopy is a procedure where the doctor dilates the cervix, inserts saline or gas, and then shoves a camera with a light on it to check out the innards. I really should have asked for a picture - I would love to frame that and put it on the fireplace! "What's this, um, picture of?" "Oh, that's my ute! I was 6 DPO here!"

Anyway, the hysteroscopy was done to check out this possible false passage, and in addition to this, she was doing a partial D&C and endometrial biopsy. I requested the biopsy to check for infection or other anomalies in my lining. Those kinds of issues can cause miscarriage, and since I've had two uterine miscarriages, I figured she may as well take a sample while she was in there.

Why do they keep hospitals so damn cold? Once I had undressed, redressed in a bleach-smelling gown and robe, and snuggled under my paper thin blanket, I was frozen. Luckily, anxiety warms me up a bit. Also, I stupidly brought my University text books so I could do some homework. Ha, I'm so idealistic. Yeah, none of that got done.

They gave me an OxyCodone about 45 minutes before the procedure and I was walked in to the room a few minutes early. I jumped up on the bed and the room started stirring in activity. Nurses, doctors, the anesthesiologist, and the kitchen sink crowded in to the room. Multiple things are happening and I'm just trying to keep my composure. Everyone was so nice and made sure I was comfortable and aware of what was happening. The anesthesiologist put in my IV and they strapped my arms down on the boards. Unfortunately, the decision was made that I would be doing this under IV sedation, so I was awake and responsive. Faster recovery and less risk, so I get it.

My legs went in to the cadillac of stirrups (all nice and padded all the way up the calf) and the medication was taking effect. The room was swirling but I could hear and see what was happening. Speculum went in and they started what felt like a sand blasting of the interior of my uterus. The bad part about IV sedation is that even though you're stoned and relatively happy, you still feel everything. So, I felt the D&C and it sucked. I knew what was happening and was in a lot of pain, and I started crying. I felt bad for the anesthesiologist because he could only put his hand on my head and wipe away the tears.

Once they finished the D&C / biopsy, they did the hysteroscopy. They had an issue with getting the saline through the catheter because apparently my uterus is bent over and snugged right up to my lower abdomen, so I practically have a 90 degree bend in my cervix. The saline bag was right by my head and the nurse was squeezing it so hard I thought it would pop. I remember at that point asking her if I was supposed to be awake and in pain and I think she ignored me. Either that or I only thought I was talking out loud.

The hysteroscopy was easy in comparison and done in about five minutes. They put my legs down, unstrapped my arms, took the IV out, and rolled me in to recovery. I only had to stay an hour before I was able to go home.

I had some pretty bad cramps right after, but within a couple of hours they went away and now I just feel tired and my ute feels full. My awesome MIL arrived just as I came out of surgery to take me home. She even stopped at a Tim Hortons to get me a tea, and stuck around for the afternoon to make sure I was good. Thank you!

Results: It's not a false passage (yay!) and I have the green light for IVF (double yay!). Next up, IVF/Donor seminar next Wednesday and Thursday. I can't wait to see my sister and brother in law! Also, bring warm fuzzy socks to the hospital next time.

Oh, also, it's my birthday tomorrow, so happy birthday to me!

1 comment: