Struggles with Infertility

Being a parent is not something that everyone has as a goal in life. But once you decide that you want to be a parent, and you are unable to, your life can either unravel, or you can try to find meaning in your struggles. This blog is me trying to find meaning.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

IVF #1 - Day Six Ultrasound and Bloodwork and How to Inject at a Party

Bright and early yesterday morning (I never get to sleep in anymore) I headed to the fertility clinic for my day six ultrasound and blood work. Surprisingly, the clinic was pretty busy, so I had to wait about an hour and a half. One of the other clinic doctors did my ultrasound and he kindly showed me everything on the screen. He started on the left ovary and counted seven follicles. He measured five of them and they were all around 10mm or 11mm. The ideal size for trigger is about 18mm to 20mm, so we are just over half way there. The right ovary was not responding as well and only had four follicles, of which only two of them were around the 10mm mark. Not too bad, but I guess I was hoping for more.

I got the call with my E2 results a couple of hours later: 501. This is still pretty low, so they've significantly bumped up my Gonal-F to 375 UI. Hopefully this gets things going a bit faster! Either way, the nurse thinks we'll be triggering on Wednesday with egg retrieval on Friday. I can't believe how fast this is going!

So last night Derek and I travelled an hour and a half north of the city for his cousin Jon's 1920's dress up Murder Mystery birthday party (We had a ton of fun! Derek is still sleeping off the fun he had!). We arrive just a few minutes before six, which is when I do my injections, sos soon as I was in the door, I beeline it for the bathroom. Normally, it takes me about 10 or 15 minutes to do both injections, what with mixing the Luveris and making sure I'm doing everything properly. Considering there were a bunch of loud people outside the bathroom door, and a knock or two, I was trying to hurry up and get it done. I was nervous I was going to mess something up and tried not to drop plastic caps and needles off the small bathroom counter. I was unable to use ice on the injection sites, but surprisingly it didn't hurt at all - guess I don't really need it! I was so shaky and rushed that I had to take a few deep breaths before each inject to make sure I got it in straight. I think I was in and out in about seven minutes.

I've heard stories of women who've had to do injects in an airplane bathroom or in a vehicle - I don't envy them! Doing it in a strange bathroom was bad enough. Anyway, I got it done, and the side effects are certainly kicking in. I'm bloated and crampy, have a constant headache and am tired all the time. Hopefully my body is just preparing for the next ten months!

Next appointment is Tuesday for another ultrasound and blood work. Fingers crossed for good news!

No comments:

Post a Comment