Struggles with Infertility

Being a parent is not something that everyone has as a goal in life. But once you decide that you want to be a parent, and you are unable to, your life can either unravel, or you can try to find meaning in your struggles. This blog is me trying to find meaning.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Random Spring Update

I say spring, but looking out the front window at ~20 cm's of snow makes me feel differently.

There hasn't been an update for a few months because we've been in a holding pattern (still in two week intervals despite not officially TTC right now) and I've been focused on work and school the last few months. However, two fairly relevant events have happened.

First, we are done our homestudy through the public adoption system. We ended up with three visits of 2 to 3 hours with the homestudy worker and are expecting our draft report in the next few weeks. We have decided to do 'child-specific' (for S) with the option to amend in 2014 to a general homestudy for our age range (which is 0 to 7). On the topic of S, as far as we are aware, she is back with mom full time with no supervisory order. I won't elaborate, but I can say that my faith in the system is broken. While I understand the goal of Child and Family Services is to keep families together, they are not providing the tools S and her mother need to ensure this transition is successful. Rather, they depend on her respite families like Derek and I, and members of Derek's family, to provide that to S and her mother, not just emotionally and physically, but financially as well. So, we just wait and see. Story of our life.

Secondly, I go in for a laparoscopy, D&C and hysteroscopy tomorrow morning to look for endometriosis, scar tissue from my ectopic and fallopian tube removal, and to clean things out a bit. I've had this surgery before and know what to expect. I'll show up at 5:30 am (ugh), sit in the hospital bed for a couple of hours while they insert the IV (last time they popped a vein - gah!) and do all the paper work, then get walked in to the OR. I'm put under general, so they strap my arms to the bed as they get my legs in position and give me a good shot of valium. Nice and relaxed, they tell me to count backwards from 100...I think I made it to 97 last time. I woke up in recovery an hour later and made my way home around noon. I only yesterday remembered the aggravation (and pain) of the gas they use to inflate the abdomen trying to escape through my impermeable shoulders, so my grand plan to use this opportunity to work on my research is kaiboshed as I'll be horizontal all day. Following this, the doctor will give me a prescription for DHEA (yes, it's prescription here in Canada) and we'll start actively TTC for the summer while waiting for me to finish my thesis and get ready for our FET in November.

I have another update related to our February Skype call with Dr. Hudson at the Victoria Fertility Clinic  that I'll try and post tomorrow as I'm laid up. The long and short of it is if our FET fails this November, we're moving to VFC and doing the three IVF plan. 2014 is looking to be a busy year, though I hope it's busy for one reason - like pregnancy resulting from the FET - over another.

No comments:

Post a Comment