Struggles with Infertility

Being a parent is not something that everyone has as a goal in life. But once you decide that you want to be a parent, and you are unable to, your life can either unravel, or you can try to find meaning in your struggles. This blog is me trying to find meaning.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Still on the roller coaster

Just a quick update from the last post - unfortunately, my hopes were once again recharged following my sixth beta. Three days after my poor beta of 229, I had a repeat and was shocked to hear that it had increased to 494! Hope springs eternal and all that!

I received the results last Friday and we were cautiously optomistic all weekend. I purchased a CBE with Conception Indicator pregnancy test the afternoon I received these awesome results and it showed that I was 2 - 3 weeks pregnant, which was low for where I was in the pregnancy according to my last period, but I justified the numbers away and hoped for the best.

On Monday (yesterday), I took yet another CBE with Conception Indicator and it had jumped to 3+ weeks pregnant! My beta was going up! According to some random information I found online, for the test to read 3+ weeks, my beta would have to be over 1000 or so. Exciting! I was hopeful that we might actually see a little bean on my ultrasound this morning.

But, it was not to be. While we did get the good news that they didn't see anything in my tubes, and therefore my risk for ectopic was 'very low', we also didn't see anything in my uterus. Based upon my chart, which shows when we had sex and when I got my first positive pregnancy test, the earliest I could be is about 6 weeks, 2 days, and the clinic has me down as 6 weeks, 6 days. Either way, there should have been something. All they saw was a nice thick endometrium and that's it.

The doctor sent me for another beta and I should have the results by the end of today, but of course, when I finally got to work around noon, I started cramping and finally started spotting red. I think it's finally over and the numbers from this morning will prove it.

Being on this emotional roller coaster has caused so much stress for me, Derek and our families (especially my sister Lara, who is waiting for me to donate eggs to her - this puts her life on hold as well) that I'll be thankful to conclude this chapter in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment