Struggles with Infertility

Being a parent is not something that everyone has as a goal in life. But once you decide that you want to be a parent, and you are unable to, your life can either unravel, or you can try to find meaning in your struggles. This blog is me trying to find meaning.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Good news, bad news, and everything in between

This is a long awaited post that couldn't be made until I talked to certain family members first. So, sorry you've been out of the loop, but I'm finally updating!

First of all, my good news: I got accepted to University! I start the Masters of Arts in Environment and Management program at Royal Roads on September 5. It is a program for full time professionals that requires a lot of home study, three, three week residencies in Victoria, B.C., and a thesis. Apparently I blew them away with my Letter of Intent and they accepted me as a mature learner as I don't have an undergrad degree. We are SO excited! My first residency is the first three weeks of October.

Here is my in between news: the same day I got my acceptance letter, I found out I was pregnant. It was a total shock, of course, but we were thrilled! I hadn't been taking my temperature or using OPKs, so I had no idea when I ovulated. I had my sonohysterogram this cycle too, so I thought that may have delayed ovulation a bit, but maybe by two days, tops.

I called my GP and she asked me to go in for a beta, and after an agonizing three and a half day wait, we got the results - 24. I was definitely pregnant, but very early. It seemed low for how far along I thought I was, but again, I had no idea when I ovulated, and it was in range either way.

I called the fertility clinic immediately and they sent me in for a repeat, as well as putting me on progesterone and baby aspirin (for clotting). Three and a half days after my first beta, my numbers and gone up to 83. We started to get more excited, as the numbers were doubling properly, albeit still low.

Two days later I went in for another repeat. They called me first thing the next morning with crushing news. My beta only rose to 100 in two days, no where near normal. This was this past Wednesday, July 6th. I went in for a repeat yesterday, the 8th, and am still waiting for the results.

At this point, it's bad news. My numbers don't look good and this will likely result in my third miscarriage. I have no cramping or bleeding yet, but the progesterone could be delaying things. I'll know more when I get my fourth set of numbers.

It's always devastating to have a miscarriage, but it feels like the more it happens, the more numb you become. I have hardly cried this time, and I'm not sure why not. Maybe I expected it?

Let's finish this post with another piece of semi-good news, eh? Because this is my third loss, I am now considered a reoccurring pregnancy loss patient. I will now undergo a bunch of genetic and other testing before the IVF, as will Derek. If there is something wrong with either of us that makes our embryos non-viable, I'd rather know it now then after we spend thousands on a failed IVF.

I guess there is still a very small chance that this pregnancy will work out, so let's hold out for that for now. The proof is in the numbers. I'll update when I get the call.

No comments:

Post a Comment