Struggles with Infertility

Being a parent is not something that everyone has as a goal in life. But once you decide that you want to be a parent, and you are unable to, your life can either unravel, or you can try to find meaning in your struggles. This blog is me trying to find meaning.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Beta Number Four

I had what I would call light flow yesterday, and that combined with some mild right sided pain made me head to the walk in clinic yesterday evening. Normally, with a walk in clinic, you see a grumpy, overworked doctor who doesn't give you any answers. I was pleased to get the exact opposite!

The wait was a short 20 minutes and this grizzled white haired man in his 60's walks in to the room and asks what the problem is. I say 'I'm about five and a half weeks pregnant and bleeding....' Before I can go any further, he interrupts me with 'Bleeding is very common in pregnancy, blah, blah, the way we tell if a pregnancy is progressing normally is to draw blood tests for beta hcg every two days...'. I interrupted him this time and told him I had had multiple beta's done, including one on Monday and one on Friday, though I didn't have the results from Friday yet. He hops up and says 'Well, we can do something about that...follow me!' and led me to his office.

He pulled up my electronic chart and my beta on Friday was 449, with a doubling time of about 62 hours! He said that although I'm bleeding - which is very normal - the numbers look perfect and since I'm not having severe cramping, I should try to relax. He noted that we are not out of the woods yet, of course, but so far, so good. His exact words were 'If you were my daughter, I wouldn't be sleeping soundly until you passed 14 weeks'.

Just to recap, my beta's are:

August 13 - 8
August 18 - 41
August 20 - 158
August 24 - 449

Now I'm stuck trying to decide if I want to go in for another beta tomorrow, or just go in to see my GP on Tuesday and wait for an ultrasound later this week. These betas drive me crazy, but the next number will give me a better indication of viability. Or, we can continue on in happy bliss for another week until it either looks good on the ultrasound or it all comes crashing down. I'm also at risk for ectopic, so it might be worthwhile to keep an eye on my beta's ongoing just in case. Ugh, waiting and decisions, waiting and decisions....

1 comment:

  1. I have my fingers crossed for you!!! I hope that everything works out. And I have heard of women having period like bleeding throughout pregnancy so hopefully that is all it is! Good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete