Struggles with Infertility

Being a parent is not something that everyone has as a goal in life. But once you decide that you want to be a parent, and you are unable to, your life can either unravel, or you can try to find meaning in your struggles. This blog is me trying to find meaning.

Sunday, September 4, 2016

IVF #2 - Day Four of Stims

I had forgotten how much nerve it takes to stab yourself in the abdomen with a needle. I started stims four days ago, and as I stood over the sink with my first of three daily injections, I almost started crying when I realized that I ACTUALLY had to put this needle in my stomach. Tears in my eyes, I looked at Derek sitting on the edge of the bathtub watching me, planted my feet, and jabbed it in. And it stung going in, but wasn't so horrible that it stopped me from preparing and taking shots two and three.

Now I've got my routine and I'm done in 20 minutes flat. 150 IU of Luveris (two 75 IU vials with multiple prep steps) and 450 IU Gonal-F. I'm also taking 7.5 mg Femera mid-morning (pills), and steroids in the evening (also pills). In a couple of days, I add a new injection mid-morning to prevent me from ovulating too early. I've added all of these reminders to my phone and check often to make sure I'm not missing anything. Good thing I'm organized by nature and enjoy routine!

When I was contemplating what I would write in this blog post as an update earlier today, I was reflecting on the fact that I've had very few symptoms so far. My abdomen is tender for sure, and I haven't been sleeping well (this is normal for me, so not sure if it's a symptom or not), but otherwise it's still early, so no major bloating. Then, this afternoon, I started getting irritable. And then, about an hour ago, I had a cry. For no reason. Yup, side effects are starting. Now the fun really starts!

6 comments:

  1. Hello, just wanted to let you know I have everything crossed for you for your current cycle! I've been following your blog as I've gone through my journey to start a family. This post brought back memories of standing over the bathroom sink some evenings working up the courage to give myself the IVF injections! I was a patient at VFC and was very fortunate that my ICSI cycle worked in March of this year. The team at VFC are great and I felt really looked after.
    I live in Victoria, if you'd like to meet for a chat over a coffee while you're here for your cycle let me know.
    Good luck!!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be lovely! There may be a time when Derek takes off for a day and I'm left to my own devices, so I may take you up on that offer. How can I contact you? You can email me at greenfeltmarker@gmail.com if you'd like.

      Delete
  2. I hope this time everything works out for you! I found my second fresh cycle to be a breeze compared to the first. I actually got to where I enjoyed doing the injections...kinda felt like I was a nurse lol. And I found my side effects were less the second time around. Are you adding Cetrotide in? I was on that the whole time I did my second cycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, funny you mention that, I said the same thing last night! I started Cetrotide three days ago now. Interesting that you were on it the entire cycle - do you know why?

      Delete
    2. I had no down regulation at all. I actually had to take it for 3 days mid cycle and start estrogen then when I got AF I had to be at the clinic on day 2 for a baseline (nasty ultrasound that was lol) and then had to take it everyday with stims to prevent ovulation. It was an Estrogen Priming cycle they called it. Was supposed to make better quality eggs which I guess worked because fresh was a bust but got twins with my first FET :)

      Delete
  3. Nikmati Bonus Deposit 10% di Situs www.bolavita.vip sekarang juga !

    Agen Taruhan Sabung Ayam Live Terbesar dan Terpopuler sepanjang Masa !
    Dapat di akses sangat mudah melalui Smartphone, Laptop & PC !

    INFO SELENGKAPNYA HUBUNGI :
    WA : +62812-2222-995
    BBM : BOLAVITA

    ReplyDelete