Struggles with Infertility

Being a parent is not something that everyone has as a goal in life. But once you decide that you want to be a parent, and you are unable to, your life can either unravel, or you can try to find meaning in your struggles. This blog is me trying to find meaning.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Our last Two Week Wait for a while

Well, the deed is done and we're officially in the two week wait. I find myself feeling somewhat disconnected from it all this time, like I almost don't care either way if it works or not. I think part of that is because we have a plan if this doesn't work. After the IUI on Saturday, I made a follow up appointment with my doctor at the end of April to go over the next steps and discuss the tests I'll need to get done over the summer to prep for IVF. I'm also pretty excited to take a break. I didn't think I'd ever be excited to NOT try to conceive, but it's surprising how stressful it is. Getting rid of that stress for a few months is going to be a huge relief!

Let me start by saying that Derek's count was 25.3 million, which is fantastic. It's sort of all over the place it seems - hopefully that's normal! Now, about my IUI. You'd think the third would be easy breezy, but no can do. It was the worst by a large margin.

**Don't read if you're squeamish!**

As usual, the nurse went over exactly what the process is, showed me the catheter, and had me get comfortable. She inserted the speculum and told me she was going to start inserting the catheter. Pain like nothing else and intense cramps started radiating from my uterus - I think I almost broke Derek's hand at one point. She kept trying to shove that thing through my cervix (I'm sure she was actually being very, very gentle, but I was on the other side of it) and it just wouldn't go. She told me that she was able to get about two thirds through my cervix but not all the way through. I was starting to get worried that we would have to cancel, but she said she'd go and get the doctor.

Ever lie in a room with your pants off, legs spread wide open, with a speculum stuck up you? Not pleasant!

The doctor came in and, with a little maneuvering, was able to get the catheter through at last. My first thought after it was all done was if I can't take that amount of pain, how the hell am I supposed to get through childbirth? I guess we'll see when it happens, which it will (right?).

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Em, it may be painful, but just remember that blessing you could get out of it. When you are in labor, you will have various coping methods and there's drugs available if you need them. Keep a positive attitude, and don't stress about this one. What happens, happens. Just think of the time you'll get off this summer if it doesn't work this time. Or if it does, think of not having to get this procedure done again!

    ReplyDelete