Struggles with Infertility

Being a parent is not something that everyone has as a goal in life. But once you decide that you want to be a parent, and you are unable to, your life can either unravel, or you can try to find meaning in your struggles. This blog is me trying to find meaning.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Good news comes in different forms

The other day I realized that I didn't know what cycle day I was on. I have known my cycle day for 39 cycles, so this is a big step for me. I think part of the reason I didn't know is because I've had a major life change occur over the past few days.

I have been unhappy in my current job for a long while now. I had been told on a few occasions that in order to get promotions I would need to improve my education, so I started making inquiries to various universities. I spoke with an advisor at one particular university on the West Coast and was told I would likely be accepted in to their Masters program, so I decided to go for it. When I told my boss about this, he seemed happy for me and advised me to talk to Human Resources about funding and the requisite three weeks per year residency requirement (in Victoria).

HR eventually said no to the funding, which I sort of expected, but was disappointed about. My boss told me he would at least support me with the three weeks a year residency requirements, so I went ahead and submitted my application fee and started pulling together the documents I needed. A month later, he told me he couldn't even support the three weeks off, because they 'couldn't let me be away from the office for three weeks at a time'. I was angry because of the money and time I had already spent with his promise of support, and started aggressively searching for a new job.

I got the job offer last Thursday morning. My salary will be increasing by about 30%, I will get four weeks vacation, every second Friday off, and they are going to pay for and support my education. There was no way I could refuse, so I gave my notice last Friday. Of course, my boss isn't happy, but that's not what matters. I'm happy, and this gives me something to look forward to after months of disappointments and unhappiness. I feel a renewed sense of excitement and I have something big to look forward to at last.

This won't change our plans for IVF in the fall, it only means we'll be able to save up more money, faster. We've discussed my going back to school while being pregnant and on maternity leave and have decided that it's something we can handle.

Now knowing karma, we'll probably get pregnant this summer. Isn't that how it always works?

2 comments:

  1. That sounds great, Emily! I'd LOVE every second Friday off. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic news! I know how much you hated working in your old job, so I really hope this one works out for you. It sounds great on paper so far!

    It sounds like you really have something positive to focus on at the moment that isn't baby-related. Maybe it's just the thing you need to distract yourself with over the next few months.

    ReplyDelete